Thursday 3 December 2009

Focus

This isn't about auto or manual focus. In fact it's not about that sort of focus at all. It's more about focus, discipline and concentration.

I'm finding it all too easy to be distracted by all sorts of different types of photography and the gadgets and accessories required for each one. Even more so when it comes to home-made gear like snoots, grids and light boxes. Plus of course the 99p welding glass that gives you a 14 stop reduction in light !



I've tried all sorts of set-ups to get some not so good pictures (and one or two really good ones). Although I would say that it has all been worthwhile because I am learning all the time. Learning not to get distracted by the next fad but at the same time learning that there is tons of stuff about photography that I haven't even scratched the surface of. Having said that there are so many rules etc that apply to photography and yet they apply all of the time regardless of what type of picture you are taking.

So I've reach the point where I think I need to knuckle down and "focus" on the sort of photography that I want to be really good at....and that's all of them. But I know this is a stretch goal so I will narrow it down, in fact back to where I started.



I will be putting all of my efforts into Portrait photography as much as I can (and as a compromise I will endeavour to get out as much as I can to improve my landscapes).

The water drops shots have been fun, especially the colliding ones but I think I'll leave that to the experts like "Visual Assault" and "Kev Lewis".

The only downside now is that the majority of practice sessions will be of yours truly.

No comments:

Post a Comment